Monday 18 February 2008

Thetford Forest Mountain Bike black route


So. Whilst I have not been running I have been mountain biking. I've not been 'off roading' on a bike in like 20 years. But last December I got myself a brand new Specialized Rockhopper MTB on the goverment Cycle To Work Scheme, and I love it.

Over Christmas I spent a couple of afternoons trying to hack my way from Chelmsford to Ingatestone via bridleways and tracks. Then I went to Epping with Lee; freezing cold and fucking great. Two weeks ago I went back to Epping with Keith Scott and Joe. Where we did 11 miles in 3 hours, got covered in shit and had and equally fantastic time. Scott and I went to Danbury Common where we scared the crap out of each other. And for the last two weekends Scott, Joe and myself have gone out early on Saturday morning for a 2 hour hack from Galleywood to Hylands (where in the woods to the west of Hylands House is a fantastic mile or so of track that when I rode it yesterday I was going so fast the wind was whistling in my ear).

But on Saturday I went to Thetford Forest (High Lodge) and did the Black Run and half of the Red Run. I did just under 18 miles in 2 hours. I did the Black Run in an hour. This is pretty good for a big lad like me, but as all runners know, biking is for poofs. So for me 10 miles of black route cross country is a piece of cake.

However, I am told that despite the Thetford Black Run being labeled such it is hardly considered a real Black Route. It was technically challenging but there was no real risk of breaking any bones. The Beast section is good, but I must say, not as hairy as Danbury. There are no real hills, just loads of mud and churned up singletrack. Winding through the trees though with the sun like a strobe in my eyes, I was as happy as I could be. I ate a Cream Egg, drank my bottle of water, and just did not stop. I think I'm a natural. I want to race now..

T

No comments: