Thursday 24 April 2008

Pogues - Rainy Night In Soho


I will always love Shane MacGowan and the Pogues. And it's a special kind of love.

As I get older and the space between what I initially loved about them (London, alcohol, romance, a rural idyl out of reach) and where I am now (home, kids, trains, and telly) grows and will never meet again, I realize I love them more and more.

They have become as integral to my internal psyche as the vertebrae in my back is to my spine. The occasional words of Shane McGowan rattle round my mind on a daily basis. But this song, 'A Rainy Night In Soho', is one of my faves. I particularly love the simple refrain - "You are the measure of my dreams".

Get it here http://www.mediafire.com/?mn9pzpli9nr

T

Ps - this is bonus track version from the remastered / packaged version of 'Rum, Sodomy and the Lash'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have exactly the same sentiments about McGowan and Rainy Night. For me he is the finest lyricist in the history of traditional music, a rare comet that came blazing through the universe and off again.