Monday 28 April 2008

Been Riding


View Larger Map


With my mum staying with us for a week, and with Libby at work at the weekend, I thought I'd go biking both days (my mum had the kids)...

Saturday I went out on the Phantom (the '£9.99' road bike). I was going to do just 15 miles, but with the glorious weather I doubled back at Writtle and ended up doing 25 miles. My average speed was 16.5 mph. It was great. Hard work, but really really great. I left home at 0830. The sun was up and I was almost whooping for joy as I flew down the country lanes from Highwood to Writtle. This was the first time I've been out on the road bike on my own and I rode as hard as I could. It was quite a workout; the hill by Galleywood on the way back was a killer. I particularly enjoyed observing the 'proper' road bikers out with their Lycra and carbon bikes. I am sure I was as good as them, in my Morrissey t-shirt, Humvee shorts, Stan Smiths and the Phantom. The route / map is above.

Sunday, I went to Danbury with Joe, Keith and Jason. We did appx 11 miles. We did Joe's route with added bits from Explosive Pete's routes . Much drier than last weekend. Beautiful morning - no rain.

And I've been running... On the treadmill every other day at the gym (including 15 mins before the ride on Saturday). It is truly great to be back running again. But I am only doing 10 / 15 mins runs, with no real incline. Hard work though. After all my hours and miles last year. It is a somewhat distressing to have to start all over again. It's no so much the cardio that is faltering, it's my back and aching legs. At least I am running. I am going to do a 20 / 30 min gentle jog in London on Wed...

T

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long did the trip to Writtle and back take?

I rode to Melbourne after seeing you on Sunday
Been about 25 years since I've cycled that much.

Morgan

Fred said...

It took about 1.5 hours..

one should be able to ride at appx 15 mph.

so. when do you want to go out ? this friday morning ? meet outside mine at 0615 and we'll do 15 miles to writtle and back. it'll be hard; you'll feel sick and pissed off. but then you would feel great.

we could stop in the cafe on moulsham street on the way home and have a cup of tea.. i have a podiatrist appointment in town at 0930, so no mad rush for me to get on the train to london.

you up for it ?

t

Anonymous said...

''it'll be hard;you'll feel sick and pissed off.''
I go to work to feel all that.

Can't do Friday as I do the school run
Saturday same time though?
Otherwise Monday or Wednesday mornings should be fine

Morgan

Fred said...

ok. Maybe Saturday morning - early.. We are meant to be going to Suffolk at the weekend in the caravan... And then we are coming to yours on Monday afternoon. However, nothing is properly decided yet.

You know what ? I see you on a road bike. I think you are the road bike type. We should go to Bike Trax in Brentwood on Monday and get you a nice carbon road bike (then maybe I'll have to get one too..). Your current bike will be good for your commute.

I'll email you.

T