Saturday 14 June 2008

One More Kilometre And We're In The Showers


I've been reading 'One More Kilometre And We're In The Showers' by Tm Hilton. It's a really great little book. A kind of mental sketchbook of cycling. I wish someone would write something similar about running.

The following is a short passage from the book. I wanted to transcribe it here before I take the book back to the library..

"We (cyclists) have quasi-spiritual memories that come to us when we traverse roads we have known before, quietly gliding between hedgerows, changing rhythm with the lie of the land or the strength of the wind, rising a little from the saddle to catch a glimpse of a stream. Pedestrians do not know these experiences. Neither of course do motorists. Only cyclists know what I'm talking about and it's useless to try to explain it to anyone else."

He's right. When I dream, I dream of the roads and woods of my childhood; I don't dream of people or events. It's me in a place. My psyche is kinda grounded by the landscape. And when I run or cycle it is the road, or the woods, more so than the people I'm with or are nearby, that I am running or cycling with. Anyway..

T

1 comment:

suffolkcyclist said...

Hi

Tim lives in Ubbeston and is a member of the Godric you know. I sometimes bump into him in the lanes and byways near Southwold. He will be on one of his venerable old steel framed bikes of which he has many.

I have started running as I haven't had time to get the bike out for a month.

Hope the blister is better.

Yrs Paul