Friday 7 September 2007

The Pugilist At Rest



In preparation for this week's diabolical journeys to and from the factory I grabbed my old copy of 'The Pugilist At Rest' by Thom Jones. I have been struggling through George Sheehan's 'Running And Being' and felt I needed something else to chew on whilst stuck on the Jubilee Line.

George Sheehan has been described as the 'philosopher king' of running and indeed his work is littered with remarkable quotes that make you realize why maybe you do the stuff the you do, or think the things you do when you run.

Running and Being's basic premise is that to achieve our true goals and become who we really need to be we must learn to 'play' again and be childlike, fearless and strong. It is very Nietzsche in parts.

Although the book is split into chapters (Learning, Doing etc) I'm halfway through and it is kind of melding together in an endorphine like stream of consciousness. It can also be a bit slog. So I picked up the 'Pugilist At Rest'.

The 'Pugilist' is Thom Jones first book; a collection of short stories. The stories are largely based on the writer's own experience as some kind of special forces marine in the Vietnam war. It's real macho writing that aspires to Hemingway and Buckowski. He lacks the innate craft of these writers but in the end makes his points and takes you where he intends. The overall theme of the book is redemption through manly pursuits such as boxing, shooting guns, having mental breakdowns etc.. It's a good book. But it struck me how both books, the 'Pugilist' and 'Running and Being' are in effect saying the same thing; This being rise above yourself. Rise above your alloted place in the world and grasp reality becuase you live but once. Don't be afraid. Be the best you can be and let yourself be your only judge.

I'd recommend both.

Anyway, after work today I found small bag of skunk on the pavement outside. Tonight wifey is 'out on the town'. I'm at home on my own. I'm going skin some of that skunk up, drink a beer and watch a download of the new Tarrantino movie 'Death Proof'. Then tomorrow get up at 06:30 and run till I feel sick. I guess I'm more of a Thom Jones man.

T

No comments: